Items of potential interest to government documents librarians or government information managers in Michigan. For more information contact Jon Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|« Bruce Sargeant Notifies FDLP About Library of Michigan Proposal||Dome magazine update, February 19, 2010 »|
I am writing on behalf of the executive board of GODORT-MI to let you know we are working on behalf of the organization to advocate for a voice or a role in deciding the future of LoM regional depository collection.
We have contacted or are in the process of contacting representatives at the Library of Michigan, the Michigan Department of Education, the Government Printing Office, the Michigan Library Association, the Michigan Association of Law Libraries, ALA GODORT and national library media, including American Libraries and Library Journal. We are also spreading the word to the broader depository community via things like govdoc-l.
The general talking points the executive board agreed upon are:
1) We are concerned that this plan will limit access to government information by eliminating or dispersing one of the core depository collections in the state, and the only one with a mandate to maintain a comprehensive collection.
2) We are concerned that it is unrealistic to expect a library or group of libraries to be able take on the acquisition, processing, management and maintenance of a collection the size of the Library of Michigan's federal regional depository collection.
3) We are concerned about the impact of this plan on depository libraries throughout the state, both in terms of lost access to the collection, but also in terms of a loss of expertise and assistance provided by the regional library. The loss of a regional library in the state of Michigan would prevent depository libraries from weeding their collections, an important and ongoing aspect of collection maintenance for selective depository libraries.
4) We are concerned that statewide services to libraries no longer includes regional depository duties. Selective depository libraries served by the Library of Michigan are located from Houghton to Benton Harbor and from Ypsilanti to Petoskey.
5) We are respectfully requesting a role in crafting a plan for the Library of Michigan's regional depository collection and services. We feel our collective experience and expertise can provide perspective and input that can help lead to a resolution that is the best for everyone involved.
If we are granted a voice or role in the process we will be seeking assistance in working with the board that will be deciding the fate of that collection. We see our role is to get the word out and to offer our assistance and expertise.
I have heard back from Ric Davis at GPO assuring me he shares our concerns and I have been emailing back and forth this afternoon with American Libraries, which is interested in the situation.
You are all more than welcome to contact these same constituencies or any others to raise any of these concerns or any others you may have. Contact information for select people is below:
Nancy Robertson (State Librarian): email@example.com
Ric Davis (Superintendent of Documents): firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Flanagan (Michigan Superintendent of Education): email@example.com
Martin Ackley (MDE Communications Director): firstname.lastname@example.org
Finally, I would encourage you to inform your library director of the implications of losing a regional library in the state of Michigan. This has very immediate and real implications for every selective depository in the state and is something that should resonate with them.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me or any other members of the board. None of us anticipated this role when we took on these positions, but the board has been wonderful in helping to plan and get the word out and I would personally like to thank them for their assistance and hard work.
Head of Collection Development
Grand Valley State University Libraries
Allendale, MI 49401
|<< <||> >>|