Items of potential interest to government documents librarians or government information managers in Michigan. For more information contact Jon Harrison at email@example.com.
The Michigan Education Association on Tuesday asked Gov. Rick Snyder and state education leaders not to use data from the state standardized test this year due to issues with the test.
Steve cook mug 5-7.jpgSteve CookCourtesy photo
In an open letter sent to Snyder and education leaders, MEA President Steve Cook said his members are reporting many issues with the Michigan Student Test of Educational Progress (M-STEP).
"After just five days, we're hearing loud and clear from our members just some of the many problems associated with M-STEP," Cook said. "It's impossible to believe that this test could be an accurate measure of student growth. We can't use unreliable data to judge teachers and school districts."
For the full article, see Kyle Feldscher, "MEA president asks state not to use 'unreliable' M-STEP data to evaluate teachers", MLive, April 22, 2015.
Pope Francis has bestowed the title of "basilica" upon the historic National Shrine of the Little Flower Catholic Church in Royal Oak, making it only the second church in Michigan and one of 82 in the U.S. to carry the honorary designation.
The honor means the landmark Oakland County church, its facade marked by a mammoth sandstone tower and crucifix at Woodward and 12 Mile, will get a reconfigured name and have greater significance as a Catholic pilgrimage site. The designation also connotes a heightened relationship with the pope, so the parish will celebrate anniversaries related to the role of the papacy.
Its inaugural mass as a basilica will be celebrated on April 22, when Detroit Archbishop Allen Vigneron is to preside at a ceremony and reading of the papal decree of its new designation. It's unclear how the church's name will change to reflect the new honor. The only other such Catholic basilica in Michigan is the Basilica of St. Adalbert in Grand Rapids, which received the title in 1980 from Pope John Paul II.
The parish, which operates Shrine high school and elementary school, is being recognized for its robust parish life, which includes eight weekend masses, and its stature as a destination site with relics from various Catholic figures, including its namesake St. Therese of Lisieux. But generations ago, Shrine was known nationally because of its charismatic founding pastor, the Depression-era radio priest the Rev. Charles Coughlin, eventually silenced by the Vatican because of anti-Semitic broadcasts.
The National Shrine of the Little Flower Catholic Church in Royal Oak is named after a young French Carmelite nun, Therese of Lisieux, who was canonized a saint in 1925. The Royal Oak parish, founded in 1926, was one of the first parishes named after her.
St. Therese was born Therese Martin on Jan. 2, 1873. She entered the convent at 15 and died nine years later of tuberculosis. During her illness, she was asked to write about her life, her love of Jesus and her philosophy that one must do the little things right to get to Heaven. After she died, her writings were published and gained immediate popularity. In one book, she referred to herself as insignificant as one small flower in the garden nurtured by God. That's how she became known as the Little Flower.
For the full article, see Patricia Montemurri and JC Reindl, "Pope Francis names Shrine of the Little Flower a basilica", Detroit Free Press, February 1, 2015.
On April 22, 1948, Orlando LeValley died at his farm outside Caro, Mich. The longtime farmer, who had enlisted in the 23rd Michigan Infantry Regiment as a 16-year-old in 1864, was the last of the 90,000 Michigan veterans of the Civil War to die. The press reported that LeValley had outlived his wife, Hannah, by 30 years, and one of their six children. He left 15 grandchildren (three of whom had served in World War II) and 29 great-grandchildren. LeValley, who had enjoyed telling people that he heard President Lincoln’s second inaugural address while on furlough in 1865, was just five months shy of 100 when he died.
Source : Richard Bak, "Last Man Standing", Hour Detroit, August 2012.
For a related story, search Joseph Clovese.
On April 22, 1938, the Detroit Tigers opened its new season with a 20,000-seat expansion at Navin Field, pushing stadium capacity to more than 53,000 seats. The remodeled field was renamed after the Tigers' owner, Walter O. Briggs, Sr. Beginning in 1938, the Detroit Lions started playing their games at Briggs Stadium. They remained there until 1975, when the team moved to the Pontiac Silverdome.
Sources: Michigan History magazine.
On April 27, 1933, in celebration of the repeal of Prohibition, Michigan Gov. William A. Comstock approved a law permitting people to drink beer and wine starting at age 18.
According to the Michigan Historical Center, 18- to 20-year-olds were not allowed to drink any form of hard liquor during this time. The Legislature reconsidered the move four years later and raised the drinking age to 21.
The legal drinking age remained 21 until 1972, when it was once again lowered to 18. After Michigan began to suffer from higher incidents of alcohol-related traffic incidents among drivers ages 18 to 20, the state decided to change the legal drinking age back to 21 in 1978.
Andrea K. Farmer, This Week in Michigan History, Detroit Free Press, April 22, 2007, B.4
|<< <||> >>|