On May 16, 1956, the General Motors Technical Center was dedicated in Warren. Costing around $100 million--or about half a billion in today's dollars--to develop and staffed by around 4,000 scientists, engineers, designers and other personnel, the GM Tech Center was one of the largest industrial research centers in the world. Designed by Finnish-born architect Eero Saarinen, it was his first independent project, and it would bring him immediate acclaim. Construction took place between 1949 and 1955. The scale & visual beauty of the center invited comparisons to a 20th-century version of the royal complex at Versailles, France.
Source : Detroit Historical Society Facebook page